If you have been injured as a result of a criminal act you may be able to approach the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (“CICA”) to make a compensation claim.
If successful, you will be compensated under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012. Read the rules and decide for yourself if it is worthwhile getting advice from our expert personal injury solicitors.
Alternatively, ask us if you can claim by completing the online form on this page, or by calling 08000 124 246.
What is a criminal injuries compensation claim?
Criminal injuries claims are made by innocent victims of crimes of violence who have suffered physical and/or mental injuries. The CICA is a government-backed and publicly-funded organisation. It is not an insurance company, and behaves very differently as a result.
For example, in CICA claims the claimant is awarded damages on a fixed “tariff” basis. This means that it is easier for victims to calculate what they would be entitled to, provided that they can prove their claims. However, unlike when dealing with insurers, there is no negotiation available, other than the option of going to a review or tribunal.
What can I claim compensation from the CICA for?
Depending on eligibility and the circumstances, the CICA will consider compensation claims for:
- mental or physical injuries suffered in violent crimes/ assaults
- sexual (including historic sexual abuse) and/or physical abuse (some CICA claims overlap with sexual abuse compensation claims. Read more about these claims by clicking on the link.)
- lost earnings and other expenses which directly result from a criminal injury that prevented you from working/ left you incapacitated to a similar extent for more than 28 weeks
- expenses incurred due to a fatal criminal injury, including bereavement and funeral expenses, dependency services, and other things.
What do I have to do to make a criminal injury compensation claim with the CICA?
There are strict rules that you must follow to bring a successful criminal injury compensation claim. Among other things, these include that:
- the incident which caused the injury must have been a criminal act
- you must have been in England, Scotland, Wales or certain other specified places at the time (read more here)
- the application must be submitted to the CICA as soon as possible, and usually within 2 years.
How much is my criminal injury compensation claim worth?
The CICA make awards of £1,000-£500,000 for up to three criminal injuries suffered as a result of a crime of violence. You must be able to satisfy their medical experts that your injuries qualify. Contact us for more information, and an indication of the likely damages which you could receive if you prove your criminal injuries claim.
Withheld or reduced awards
It is important to know that the CICA can withhold or reduce an award for various reasons. These include:
- failing to report the incident
- failing to co-operate with the police, criminal justice system, CICA, or other body
- the circumstances of the incident in which you were injured and if your behaviour caused or contributed to it
- if you have a criminal record and/or issues with your character.
How much will it cost to make my criminal injury claims?
Unfortunately, CICA claims are different to normal accident claims in that the CICA do not pay legal fees in the event of success.
You do not have to use a solicitor to bring a criminal injuries compensation claim. But, if you choose to do so, Donoghue Solicitors can help you pursue your criminal injury claim with the CICA.
We offer a contingency fee service, where we agree a percentage amount with you which will be deducted from your damages if successful. E.g. if you recover £10,000 and we agree a 25% fee, you will receive £7,500 (subject to disbursements or other costs). In the event we do not recover damages for you, you will not have to pay anything, so there is no risk to you.
Speak to us for more information about this offer.
How do I get Donoghue Solicitors to start my criminal injury claim?
Complete the online form on this page, or call us on 08000 124 246.
Our personal injury solicitors will discuss your claim with you for free, and without obligation, so you can decide if you want to pursue a CICA claim with us.
Rating: ***** Professional and driven solicitors who see the job through to the end. Kevin Donoghue & the staff at Donoghue solicitors worked hard and with enthusiasm on my case for 3 years. They did exactly what they said they would do informing me at every stage and ensuring that I received One Hundred per… Read more »
Rating: ***** I would highly recommend Donoghue Solicitors they offer a friendly, helpful, first class service and are always on hand to offer advice. A very professional company. Read more reviews here.
Rating: ***** Great Service Highly Recommended Really helpful and friendly people, kept me informed of what was going on every step of the way. Whenever help was needed they were always there to help. Fantastic service, would definitely recommend and use this firm again! Read more reviews here.
Rating: ***** Excellent service! Following a recent car accident, Donoghue Solicitors made a very stressful and difficult time so much easier. Their speed of response, consistent communication and helpful professional manner, really made a bad situation so much better. A wonderful company to deal with – Highly recommended. Read more reviews here.