Are you a victim of police misconduct? Do you want justice? Compensation? To make sure it doesn’t happen again?
Get in touch today to sue the police. We can help you claim compensation against police forces throughout England and Wales. Simply fill out the online form on this page or contact us using our FREE phone number- 08000 124 246.
What Should I Know About Actions Against the Police?
You probably have a lot of questions about the claims process. Our expert lawyers are here to help you know your rights when suing the UK police. We suggest you start by looking at the following pages for information.(All pages open in new tabs so you can come back here at any time to read more.)
- Start by finding out about the law in civil actions against the police. This page answers the question, “what are actions against the police?” and explains how to prove the most common types of claim. Find out how to claim compensation for wrongful arrest, police assault, trespass, malicious prosecution, misfeasance in public office, negligence, breaches of the Human Rights Act, and other things.
- Our false imprisonment claims explained page looks at that topic in-depth. Read about the legal definition of false imprisonment (also called unlawful arrest or wrongful arrest), how to prove it, the effects of continued detention on claims, and more.
- If you’re interested in possible remedies in claims against the police, click on the link. Depending on your circumstances, you might be entitled to financial compensation, an apology, a finding of liability, deletion of your DNA/ personal data etc.
- The most common remedy in police misconduct claims is financial compensation. Read how to calculate police abuse compensation to find out how much money you might get after suing the police. You will learn about many of the terms used in these cases, such as “aggravated” and “exemplary” damages, and understand how to calculate possible awards.
- To make sure you have not missed the chance to sue the police we explain the time limits on this page. Even if you think that you might have missed a “limitation period” (explained on the page) it’s still worth getting in touch because there are exceptions and extensions which we discuss here.
- Some of our clients want to bring a police complaint. On this page we show how the Independent Office for Police Conduct (“IOPC”) (formerly known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission) defines police complaints, explains the complaints procedure and the role of Professional Standards Departments, how to complain about police officer misconduct, time limits, and other things.
- If you think you have a claim, it is important to decide how you are going to fund it. Our no win no fee police claims page explains the various methods of funding which apply. These include legal aid (PLEASE NOTE: Donoghue Solicitors are not legal aid lawyers. If you are interested in legal aid click here.), paying fees yourself as a “private client”, before the event legal insurance, and conditional fee (“no win no fee”) agreements.
- We know that getting in touch with a solicitor is a big step. To make things easier, click on our page: information police misconduct solicitors need to help you. Read questions we might ask to help you with your claim.
Start your compensation claim against the police by filling out the short contact form or call us on FREEPHONE 08000 124 246.
More Information About Police Misconduct Claims
- We are proud of our work as solicitors specialising in actions against the police. Read why us to find out how you will give yourself the best chance of success when Donoghue Solicitors represent you. Our expert team is led by Kevin Donoghue, a solicitor with a national reputation in this area of law and member of the Police Action Lawyers Group. In 2015 an expert panel praised our “clear and significant commitment to widening access to justice” in actions against the police when we won the Niche Law Firm Award at the prestigious Liverpool Law Society Awards.
- We regularly consider client referrals from other solicitors. Lawyers from other firms should click on the link to find out how we can help.
- Our case reports show how some of our clients won their claims with our help. You can see real reviews from our clients by clicking on the link.
- And the actions against the police FAQs answer questions raised by our clients and callers, such as “what are actions against the police?” and “how much does it cost to make a police compensation claim?”.
- One special area we focus on is police warrant claims. These claims include police search warrant, arrest warrant, and court warrant claims. Read about them by clicking on the links, and read some police warrant claims case reports for real-life examples.
- Our police warrants compensation page explains who can claim, and for what. The warrant definition page explains the legal basis for making police warrant compensation claims.
- Another important part of our work is helping clients with police abuse of authority for sexual gain compensation claims. Click on the link to read more.
- If you have suffered a financial loss and/or distress because of a breach of the Data Protection Act by the police our award-winning lawyers can help you put things right. Read about our Data Protection Claims service by clicking on the link.
- Some people seek our help to clear their police records. Incorrect information held on the Police National Computer and other police databases can have serious effects on work and personal lives. Find out more about our police criminal records and data deletion service here.
- Lastly, check out our blog. Our lawyers, including Solicitor Director Kevin Donoghue, write regularly about actions against the police. For example, in the article Do the Police Know the Law in Breach of the Peace UK Cases? Kevin explains the law in breach of the peace claims and how he successfully sued the police due to their ignorance of the law.
How Do I Get a Solicitor’s Help With Suing the Police?
If you have more questions or want to get started with your claim please complete the online form on this page or call us FREE on 08000 124 246. Our website has cutting-edge 256-bit encryption security, so you know your details will be safe. And, as solicitors, we follow strict rules of confidentiality and will never sell your details to others. We look forward to helping you seek justice in your action against the police.
Please note that we can only help with claims in England and Wales. We suggest people North of the border contact the Law Society of Scotland.
Rating: ***** Accident at work I would highly recommend Donoghue Solicitors to anybody who is looking for a good, honest and reliable solicitor. From start to finish I was always kept up to date with the progress of my claim and was always made fully aware of what was happening. I was always explained everything thoroughly… Read more »
Rating: ***** Brilliant! Donoghue Solicitors dealt with my claim against police with absolute professionalism and sensitivity. Daniel Fitzsimmons dealt with my case and honestly I couldn’t of had a more genuine person who made me feel at ease with the whole process. My claim was on a no win no fee basis. I had previously… Read more »
Rating: ***** Professional and driven solicitors who see the job through to the end. Kevin Donoghue & the staff at Donoghue solicitors worked hard and with enthusiasm on my case for 3 years. They did exactly what they said they would do informing me at every stage and ensuring that I received One Hundred per… Read more »
Rating: ***** Highly recommended I recently had a bad car crash and sustained some bad injuries. Donoghue solicitors from the start made me feel there was light at the end of the tunnel. They really fought my corner and I received full compensation for my vehicle and got a very good pay-out for the injuries I… Read more »